School HistoryHunterville School opened on 28th
September 1887 with a roll of 40 pupils. A secondary department was
established at the school in 1912 and this operated until 1929.
The word "Consolidated" in the school's name refers to the amalgamation
of six smaller schools namely Silverhope (Paraekaretu) 1937; Rata 1937;
Putorino 1939; Mangaonoho 1939; Poukiore 1941; and Rata-iti in 1952.
The school's roll peaked in December 1958 at 416 pupils and the school hall was opened in 1960.
The roll for the past several years has settled between 150 - 180 pupils,
with approximately half of these pupils coming to school by bus. We
start this year with a roll of 160 and expect to be around 175 by the
end of the year.
What does Hunterville School stand for?
The Board of Trustees consults comprehensively with parents every four
years to ensure the school delivers to its students the type of
education parents’ desire. The last such consultation was in mid 2013.
Out of such consultations has emerged the following Guiding Principles,
as well as the statements below them, which have been in place for
several years now. They are very much living, meaningful statements
which guide all our strategic thinking:
- QUALITY LEARNING: We will provide a quality, holistic education with a
focus on developing high levels of competency in reading, writing and
mathematics, and promoting sport as an integral part of that rounded
- QUALITY PARTNERSHIPS: We will actively encourage a strong sense of partnership between school, home, and the wider community. We will develop Maori culture within our school alongside other cultures in our society.
- QUALITY LEARNING CLIMATE and ENVIRONMENT: We will provide a positive, secure and supportive, dynamic environment where growth and learning can be achieved by all.
- QUALITY PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT: We
will create a physical environment that is safe, attractive and becoming more
- QUALITY LIFE CAPABILITIES: We will endeavour to teach the capabilities that people have, and need to develop, to live and learn today and in the future.
Our School Motto:
“Hunterville Pride … Together we Strive”
Along with the above comes our ‘quality’ statement:
“Quality Learning, Quality Behaviour, Quality Environment”
And Our Golden Rule…
“Treat others the way you’d like to be treated”